Thursday 23 October 2014

The Good Life 1

40 seems to be one of those ages which, for many, loom large for some reason. That wasn't the case for me but I did do a lot of thinking around the course and purpose of my life this year, beginning long before the big four oh.

Initially, I was thinking about my life in the light of the Petula Clark song from Goodbye, Mr Chips.

There's a question at the end of the song (for the evening) which I kept thinking about when thinking about the last four decades:

And the question I shall ask only I can answer.
Was I brave and strong and true?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?

In some respects, the middle verse is probably where I'm at right now.
In the noontime of my life I shall look to the sunshine,

At a moment in my life when the sky is blue.
And the blessing I shall ask shall remain unchanging.
To be brave and strong and true,
And to fill the world with love my whole life through.

If you were me, what questions would you be asking, and how would the people that have known you through your life answer them? How do you think God would answer them?

No comments: